This summer has been…..CRAZY. I’ve not posted anything since I shared my Dairy, Egg, & Nut Free Strawberry Shortcake in June. I’m so sorry, but here’s what my summer has been like.
Out of town 3/4 weekends in June
June 16th Superman broke his right leg going down a slide (I’ve decided to refer to my food allergic son as Superman)
June 28th-July 5th, vacation near sand/water (not good for a cast)
7 doctors appointments between Superman and myself
A new windshield on vacation
Two 911 calls for me (bee sting reaction and low blood sugar episode)
An allergy-friendly cookie decorating party hosted at my house
And lastly, I reacted to carrots (I think, testing soon), just two nights ago
Between all those things, and a few more events not mentioned, I’ve been exhausted and stressed. I’m still so thankful that summer wasn’t worse than it was, even if it flew by me without being all that enjoyable.
Needless to say, I’ve been a little busy and distracted. I’m back, and hoping to post more regularly, and I’ve decided to start with the recipe I promised WEEKS ago. I thought these Dairy, Egg, Tree Nut, and Peanut Free Granola Bars which will be perfect or Back-To-School snacks, lunches, and breakfasts.
First, mix Sunbutter (or other nut/nut alternative butter), honey, and oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir until smooth.
Remove from heat, and let sit for 1-2 minutes to cool a bit. Then add oats and sunflower seeds (or other mix-in such as dried cranberries or raisins).
Lastly, quickly stir in the chocolate chips so that they don’t completely melt. Immediately press into 8×8 or 9×9 lightly greased baking dish/pan, compacting it as much as possible. Top with remaining chocolate chips and press them in as much as possible so they don’t fall off. Transfer to refrigerator to cool and harden for about 2 hours. You’ll want to store these in a cool, dry place so they don’t get too soft. Mine have been fine in the cabinet or on the countertop in an airtight container.
- 1 cup Sunbutter (or other nut alternative butter)
- ⅔ cup honey
- 2 T oil
- 2 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (can use dried cranberries, raisins, Rice Krispies, etc...)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided in half (I use Enjoy Life)
- Lightly grease an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish/pan
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, stir Sunbutter, honey, and oil together until smooth
- Remove Sunbutter mixture from heat and let sit for 1-2 minutes to cool
- Stir in oats and sunflower seeds
- Quickly stir in ½ cup chocolate chips to prevent them from melting
- Firmly press mixture into your baking dish, compacting it as much as possible
- Press remaining ½ cup chocolate chips into Sunbutter and oat mixture
- Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to set
- Store in a cool dry place, or at room temperature
Enjoy the granola bars and let me know what you think!