Food allergies have required me to make a lot of our own food, such as bread and desserts. Some things are out of convenience or because homemade is necessary to accommodate Superman’s allergies. And then there’s hot chocolate mix. Food allergies or not, it’s just cheaper and tastes just as good (if not better!) than the store bought versions. So why not make it at home? This recipe has just 3 ingredients and will make your tastebuds giddy while warming your belly at the same time.
This mix would make cute gifts and given in pint jars tied with a burlap bow or Christmas ribbon. This mix will fill a quart jar about 2/3 full, so filling pint jars would be more appropriate for gift-giving.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup safe cocoa
- ½ tsp salt
- Put all ingredients in a quart jar and shake until well combined, or in a bowl a stir until mixed well.
- Heat 8 oz. milk alternative (such as soy or almond milk) for 90 seconds in microwave.
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon of hot chocolate mix and stir well.
- Top with safe marshmallows and/or crushed peppermint candy cane.
- Serve hot.
- Store hot chocolate mix in an air tight container.