Now that fall is near and I’m back from my blogging hiatus, I have a recipe that goes perfectly with crockpot soups and chilis. A few years ago I tried making an egg-free cornbread and it just crumbled and was dry. I finally found this recipe to adapt to an allergy-friendly version….and it worked!
I hope you enjoy this moist Sweet Cornbread. If you aren’t allergic to eggs you can whisk 2 eggs with the milk before you add any other ingredients. (Note: I have not tried this with dairy-free milk, but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work).
- 2 T cornstarch
- 4 T water
- 1 cup dairy-free milk, unflavored (I use rice milk)
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Lightly grease an 8x8 glass baking dish or 8"or 9" glass pie dish. (Baking time may be less for dark metal pans)
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water until no lumps appear.
- Add the milk and melted margarine and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until well mixed.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
What will you pair with this cornbread? I love cornbread with soups or in a cornbread salad (comment if you want that recipe!)